Friday, January 05, 2007

Parents: Take Your Kids to R-Rated Movies

A.O. Scott says in the NY Times that CGI animated films are limiting children's imagination: they need to be exposed to the movies parents want to see as well. Couldn't agree more. When I was eight, my mom and my grandma took me to see Beverly Hills Cop. My grandma loved Eddie Murphy. Never mind that my Turkish grandma couldn't understand English; she loved the funny faces he made. So Beverly Hills Cop was my first R-rated film. In it, I saw tits for the first time. Of course I walked out thinking it was the best film ever. Plus I never heard "fuck" used so much in a movie before. Having no father figure at the time, Eddie Murphy was an awesome two hour substitute who taught me to love tits, say fuck and taste cocaine to see if it's real.



Of course, there was that time when I went to see Boomerang with my mom, my grandma and my stepdad when I was 16. That sex scene with Eddie Murphy and Robin Givens made me feel awkward, though my grandma laughed. Uh, you know what? Stay away from Eddie Murphy films, including Shrek.

3 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

AO definitely hit the nail right on the head this time .. what's funny is that the first R-rated movie i ever saw was also an Eddie Murphy movie, but it was the even more raunchy 48 Hours ... as a 10 year old, I just loved it!

Cibbuano said...

My parents had a policy of showing my brother and I any movie that they wanted to watch, which is why I love R-rated movies now. PG just seems so artificial...

There's nudity in Beverly Hills Cop? Which scene?

Mo Diggs said...

The stripper scene. How could you forget?