Friday, September 08, 2006

Comix: The Urban Outfitters of Comedy?

Comix is a new comedy club. It seems cool; it has no drink minimum and no bringer shows. Indeed, most alt-comedy fans and comedians bring up pricey drink minimums as their main reason for avoiding comedy clubs.

So how can this idea fuck up? Well, you can see Dave Hill at Comix for twelve smackaroons or see him at his own show at the UCB for five bucks . Beyond ticket prices, I get the sense that they are trying too hard. Their "about" page boasts that they have "the best of cutting edge alternative comedy, improv and sketch comedy." Cutting edge? They might as well say "Hey hipsters, have we got some finger-poppin' boho jesters targeted just for your demographic!"

Comix might turn out to be the Urban Outfitters of comedy, with Rififi being the Salvation Army of stand-up.

Or as Mo'Nique says in her New York Times bestseller Skinny Women Are Evil, "Well, I've got two words to say about that: HELL NO!"

UPDATE (2/6/07): I was 30 when I wrote this. I turned 31 today and take everything back. Truth is I am an idiot. For some reason I thought alternative comedians made money from alternative shows. I didn't know they did it for free. So this club helps comics like Dave Hill and Kristen Schall make money. I am an idiot and Comix rules.

No comments: