Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Remembrance of Videos Past #20: West Coast All-Stars, "We're All in the Same Gang"

Back when I was 15 I laughed at this song. Ain't a damn thing changed. I will tirelessly support the anti-gang violence message and one day I will loop that beat and make my own mash-up, but some of the cameos...

You try not to laugh when Michel'le belts out the chorus and follows with her helium-voiced reminder: "Make the change, cause we're all in the same gang." MC Hammer drops what may be his hardest rhyme yet, turning this video into The Surreal Gang Life.

Were it not for these ridiculous guest appearances, this song might have reduced gang violence and saved lives. Even Jews and Muslims in the Middle East would realize they are in the same gang. But because Michel'le was Dre's shorty and Hammer was on the west coast, we still have crack, gang bangin' and 50 Cent.

No comments: